Toloa Community Fund
The Toloa Community Fund has been set up to promote and increase the number of Pacific peoples in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) related careers.
Toloa Community Fund is in its forth year running and we’re inviting all Pacific organisations that work with Pacific communities to apply for funding to delivery STEM related activities.
The total allocation of funding for 2019 is $100,000.
The Toloa Community Fund has been set up to promote and increase the number of Pacific people studying STEM subjects. These outcomes include:
· increased level of awareness about STEM amongst the Pacific communities
· increased number of Pacific people studying STEM subjects
· more Pacific peoples in STEM related careers.
Formerly funded projects delivered by Pacific organisations are STEM:
· Exploratory days
· Guest speakers
· Game App development
What we are looking for?
We are looking for initiatives or activities that is creative, innovative, have high impact and will lift STEM aspirations for our Pacific communities.
Dragon Den Panel
All shortlisted applicants will be invited to present to a panel their project - dates and times to be confirmed.
The Community Fund will:
- Use a ‘Dragons Den’ approach to encourage applications for funding STEM activities delivered in the community to key influencers
- Invite written applications to submit / outline concepts, then invite finalists to the Dragons Den to make presentations in person, by SKYPE, or FaceTime etc.
- Selection Panel will provide financial commitment advice if successful directly at the end of the presentation
- Build partnerships with industry with a long-term view for partners to run the Dragons Den directly with Pacific communities.
All projects and activities including accountability reports are expected to be delivery by no later than June 2019.
What is funded?
In 2017-18, 11 Pacific groups received funding for these activities:
Project Wy - Project Wy STEM Workshop
Atafu Tokelau Community Group - STEM Workshops with young people
Infinity Kids - STEM /Film Workshops with young people
St Annes Pasifika Parents Group - STEM and Arts exhibition
Kilbirnie Medical Centre - STEM evening with Secondary School students
Amanaki STEM Academy - Workshops
Wellington Tongan Leaders Council - Workshop
Makatu-ung He Ofa Tongan Community - STEM awareness and promotion Workshop
Worship Centre Church Palmerston North - Pasifika Education Homework Centre
Tino e Tasi Christchurch - Samoan Interactive Digital Application - O Luga O Le Motu
Tino e Tasi Dunedin - Samoan Interactive Digital Application - Tatou o ile Marketi
Apply for the Toloa Community fund
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions relating to Toloa Community Fund.